Friday, March 20, 2009

Training in the wild.

Here is a brief outline to give readers an idea on a usual daily training session I undertake.
I will update this post regularly with experiences, results and findings of my training in the wild.
I have a firm interest In MN and MovNat and also Parkour plays a big part in my physical and mental development. Simply, these 3 activities are my staple way to my overall goal, to become a wild human.

Todays training: 21/march/2009. 3.00pm

I started off at the top of my local mountain Mt. Parahaki. it is a mix of up and downhill sections with many gravel logging tracks snaking there way through dense scrub, swamps, and pine forests/native bush.
Barefoot, and armed with only a pair of shorts for modesty, I decended into a valley carved out by recent heavy rainfall. I started off slowly progressing downwards until my momentum picked up to a run. around 2 mins later I was at the bottom of the mountain and had covered approx 1km down through scrub and uneven/slippery sufaces and prickly gorse infested sections.
Down the bottom of the mountain it opens up to swamp, So wading in waist deep mud, with eels squirming at my feet (thankfully they dont bite) i waded over to a fallen pine tree that acted as a bridge across the swamp.
I proceeded to pull myself out of the bog, while doing this I found the suction of the swamp so immense as I pulled myself out, I proceeded to do it another 10 times, as the resistance was ample for building upper body strength. it actually felt like i was doing pull ups with a weighted vest on! great!.
After that, it was straight back up the shingle ridden hill in a series of sprints and crawling back up to around the halfway mark.

There, I found an old pine tree, about 10 feet in lentgh and clear of its limbs. This was a perfect piece of training equipment.
End over end up the hill went the log, around 10 to 15 times, I didnt really count as i was after the distance more than how many times I had done it.
Now for the run back up. this was a steady but continual pace, up along the old logging track.
10 mins later, i was almost back up the top, and found a log that had been put across the track.
I picked this up, hoisted it onto my back and took it up the remainder of the hill. approx 500m.
by the time I had completed this training session, an hour had gone by. An hour of constant motion.
once i reached the top, I raised the log in a final effort and threw it down the side of the gorge.
it landed half way down, stuck on an old tree leaning out of the cliff.
Perfect, I thought. a good start for my next training tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Jeez Dave, that sounds intense :)

    You're moving to Wellington right? I look forward to trying some of this style training with you.

    ReplyDelete