Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hunter/ Gatherers

I am currently researching about daily life of many existing hunter/gatherer tribes around the world, paying particular interest to The Maori of New zealand and Islander life from neighbouring island like rarotonga, vanuatu, samoa, australia and papua new guinea.

here are some videos I found of interest, the hunting methods and games of african hunter/ gatherer tribes still in existence today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pro6X_Kc5wA hunting methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9yOS5Xg8jw Tribal games.

I will post my findings once I have gathered all the info.

2 comments:

  1. Nice finds, love to see footage like this. One thing though is be carefull not to generalize pastorlists and horticulturiss as hunter foragers their different niches and the physical competencies neccesary for one are not the neccesarily the same for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rafe, Yes I have only recently come to similar conclusions, as you mention not all "wild humans" are of an athletic nature, for instance, I have found that not all maori tribes were hunters, but primarily gatherers of kumara (sweet potatoes) which was later grown which of course would not build a athletic physique and also change the way maori lived due to the introduction of farming, and instead lead to less varied movements.

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete