Sunday, June 28, 2009

A change.

Thanks to those who have read my blog, a appreciate the feedback from all of you.
I would like to apoligize for not being active on my blog for some time, Its just my training has developed into a full time job almost, with day and night training, long distance running and winter swimming, also I have decided to further my parkour skills and train 3 nights a week again.
I have made considerable progress in my long distance trail running, Last week I ran up one of my local trails out on the coast which rises from sea level up to around 450m mark. a 20km track winding up and down steep hills and huge drop offs through old native forest with a mud/shingle single track, I completed in 1hr 3 mins......alot of room for improvement, I want this down to 40 mins.

Also I have been reading as many books and articles on human development from ramapithecus right through to modern man, homo sapien sapien trying to find out how we became the human animals we are today. "The Human Zoo" is a fantastic book written by Desmond Morris in 1969, is a great theory as to how we came to be who we are and how we survive in the "concrete jungle. A must read for people who feel trapped by the Zoo effect.

I am currently working on a new blog, which will have a more in depth look at social and cultural anthropology, but as soon as I answer one of my many questions, another 100 come to the surface of my mind, so its going to be a long but interesting journey.

My aim is to put together all of the info I find into a easy to understand blog regarding who we are as animals, how we got to where we are today, what influences the human animal had that affected the course of evolution and how we can maintain a fit, healthy and free lifestyle.

any questions or suggestions are more than welcome.

Train hard, train playfully, train free, train daily.

Dave.

6 comments:

  1. Reading your posts is what got me interested in learning more about MovNat and the human animal style of exercise thinking. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks max, glad to hear that. I will be making a trip to wellington sometime soon so perhaps I catch up with you then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I think Homo sapiens sapiens is no more correct, only Homo sapiens.
    check out this useful site: www.tolweb.org, look for Homo genus..
    the taxonomy of Hominidae is always changing, is a mess!
    keep posting firend, your stuff is very interesting..

    ps: did you really run 4500 meters from the sea in an hour?
    pps: sorry for my bad english

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello gato, You are correct, generally we refer to the homo sapien as just that, a slight abbreviation if you will. The proper term used in a scientific field is Homo Sapien sapien.

    And I must apoligise, that was a typo, it was meant to say 450m!! I would be amazed myself is anyone could run 4500 in an hour!

    I have amended this in my post.

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. H. neanderthalensis lived from about 250,000 to as recent as 30,000 years ago. Also proposed as Homo sapiens neanderthalensis: there is ongoing debate over whether the 'Neanderthal Man' was a separate species, Homo neanderthalensis, or a subspecies of H. sapiens. While the debate remains unsettled, evidence from sequencing mitochondrial DNA indicates that no significant gene flow occurred between H. neanderthalensis and H. sapiens, and, therefore, the two were separate species that shared a common ancestor about 660,000 years ago.

    from wikipedia.. I know it's not the best source, but you can find a lot more around..

    ReplyDelete
  6. uh sorry..
    if the H. neanderthalensis is a species itself than H. sapiens non more needs to be divided into 2 sub-species and, therefore, H. sapiens sapiens is useless.

    ciao.
    g

    ReplyDelete